The first step to getting thinner, smarter, and happier is to boost the physical functioning of your brain. One way to boost your brain is to avoid behaviors that rob your brain of valuable reserve.
Here are 9 things you’ll want to avoid to minimize brain drain courtesy of The Amen Solution @ Home interactive brain health website:
- Physical trauma: Severe injuries, concussions, and even mild trauma can affect every aspect of your health and well-being.
- Alcohol: Studies show that people who drink every day have smaller brains than nondrinkers. When it comes to the brain, size matters! Excessive drinking lowers activity in the prefrontal cortex (PFC), the area responsible for judgment, forethought, and planning. That’s why people make such stupid decisions when they are drunk.
- Imbalanced hormones: Imbalances with your thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, or cortisol levels have all been implicated in both brain and body problems.
- Amen Solution @ Home Tip: Visit the Go to Know Your Numbers section of the site to find out more about the important health numbers you need to know and optimize.
- Chronic inflammation in the body: This is now thought to be at the center of many diseases, including diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Amen Solution @ Home Tip: Visit the Check the Know Your Numbers section of the site to find the important health numbers you need to know and optimize.
- Chronic stress: When you constantly feel stressed, your brain tells your body to secrete higher amounts of the stress hormone cortisol. At elevated levels, cortisol increases your appetite and cravings for sugar making you fat, increases muscle tension and chronic pain, increases blood pressure, and raises your risk for many serious health conditions.
- Amen Solution @ Home Tip: Go to the Relaxation Room within the site for meditation, hypnosis, and deep-breathing exercises.
- Lack of exercise: When you don’t exercise, you decrease blood flow to your brain, your body, and your genitals. It is well-documented that a lack of physical activity can negatively affect your weight and overall health.
- Amen Solution @ Home Tip: Go to the Body Gym within the site for more tips and exercise videos to help you get started.
- Dehydration: Your body consists of 70 percent water, and your brain is 80 percent water. If you aren’t drinking enough water, you reduce brain function. Drink half your weight in ounces every day. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds drink at least 75 ounces of water.
- Smoking: Smoking constricts blood flow to the brain.
- Too much TV: Watching too much TV can be harmful for your brain and body. Excessive TV watching has been associated with ADD in children and Alzheimer’s disease in adults. Watching more than two hours of TV a day also significantly increases your risk for obesity