Facts About Your Brain
Your Brain Controls Everything You Do:
Did you Know?
- The brain is the most complex organ in the universe
- It has 100 BILLION neurons (nerve or brain cells)
- And TRILLIONS of connections to other cells
- It is thought to have more connections in it than there are stars in the universe!
- The human brain can process information as fast as 268 mph
- There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in the brain
- Each person has about 70,000 thoughts a day, 50% in words and 50% in images
- While awake, a human brain can generate enough energy to power a light bulb (between 10-23 watts)
- It’s a myth that we only use 10% of the brain. A loss of 90% of its function would likely result in being a vegetable or being dead.
- We need and use ALL of our brain – although we aren’t using every single neuron at every moment.
- When the brain is healthy you have more brain reserve. This protects you from developing dementia BUT diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity can actually hurt the brain and increase your chances of getting dementia.
Healthy Brain = Happy Brain
When the brain is healthy you have more brain reserve, which helps you recover from stress and injury, and also helps protect you from developing dementia.
In Spite of its Power, the Brain is Very Delicate:
- It weighs about 3 pounds
- It’s the texture of jello or egg whites
- Its composition is 80% water
- The brain is estimated to be about 60% fat (making it the fattest organ)
- The skull is very hard in order to protect the brain, but the boney ridges inside the skull can
cause damage when the head gets hit
You are not STUCK WITH THE BRAIN YOU
Every time you have a new thought, learn a new word, form a new memory, or learn something, you create more connections in your brain. In a way, the brain is like a muscle-the more use it, the stronger it gets!
BRAIN GAMES HELP
Here are some fun ways to exercise your brain:
- Brush your teeth with your opposite hand
- Word searches
- Crossword puzzles
- Jigsaw puzzles
- Memorize the alphabet backwards
- When out walking, try walking backwards for part of the time
- Learn to read and play music
- Learn to play a new instrument
- Learn to speak a foreign language
- Online brain games