Unleashing The Power Of The Female Brain
It has been said that boys will be boys and girls will be girls. But what are the true brain differences between the two sexes?
What The Study Told Us
Out of 80 areas tested, females were significantly more active in 70.
These differences help us understand some of the unique strengths and vulnerabilities of the female brain and give us important clues on how to optimize it.
Why Are Female Brains More Active?
Because of the increased activity, females often exhibit greater strengths in the areas of:
• Appropriate worrying
But this increased activity also makes females more vulnerable to anxiety and depression, which they suffer from twice as much as men; insomnia; eating disorders and pain.
Key Differences in the Female Brain vs. Male Brain
We found that females have stronger activity in an area of the brain called the prefrontal cortex, which is involved with planning, judgment, empathy and self-control. Think of the prefrontal cortex as the brain’s brake. It helps keep you on track and stops you from saying or doing things you shouldn’t. When the prefrontal cortex is low in activity, you can struggle with short attention span, distractibility and problems with impulse control.
When it works too hard, as it often does in women, it’s like the parking brake is always on and you can get stuck on certain thoughts or behaviors, such as worrying or holding grudges.
An area deep in the prefrontal cortex called the anterior cingulate gyrus is also more active in females. It is involved with error detection which is why you can sometimes focus too much on what is wrong: with your body, your children, etc.
Women & Serotonin
A study from Canada showed that women produce 52% less serotonin than men. This is very important as serotonin helps calm and relax the prefrontal cortex. When serotonin levels are too low, people often struggle with:
• Pain syndromes
• Trouble sleeping
• Obsessive worry
• Carbohydrate cravings
Researchers have also found that females also have more activity in the part of the brain responsible for gut feelings and intuition. They also have more activity in the limbic or emotional and bonding areas of the brain, which is why they tend to be primary caretakers for children and the elderly, and why they often excel at collaboration.
Knowing all this, here are 5 ways to unleash the power of the female brain:
Based on these differences, female brains tend to have five special strengths: empathy, intuition, collaboration, self-control, and a little worry.
1. Always balance empathy with self-care. Women are doing more today than ever before and the constant stress is stealing their health and making them sick. Women make appointments for everyone else, but not themselves. The supplements l-theanine, relora, magnesium, and Holy Basil can help lower stress.
2. Intuition is an important skill that keeps us alive and gives women an important edge. If you tap into it, you can get to solutions faster.
3. Boost collaboration by working to include others. This is why women often make great bosses – they have gifts of empathy, collaboration, intuition and also tend to make fewer risky decisions when stressed.
4. Self-control is so important to keeping you healthy. You can boost your self-control by making sure your blood sugar is stable. So you have to eat to stay in control of yourself. When blood sugar levels are low, blood flow to the brain is low, and you make more bad decisions.
5. Balance worry with wellness. Some anxiety is good if it keeps you on track, but too much is painful. To get your anxiety under control, look for natural ways to support healthy serotonin levels: Exercise can do it, as can certain supplements, like 5HTP, B6 and saffron.
Improve Your Brain Health
At Amen Clinics, we have spent decades helping people just like you improve their brain health. Call us today at 888-288-9834 or schedule a visit.
Bestselling author and brain expert Dr. Daniel G. Amen offers insight on the unique characteristics and needs of the female brain and a practical, prescriptive program targeted specifically for women to help them thrive. Discover more HERE.