TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) is an innovative form of “brain stimulation” used to treat certain psychiatric and neurological disorders that have not improved through traditional approaches.
TMS uses a non-invasive, highly-focused, brief magnetic pulse to stimulate activity in the areas of the brain known to affect mood—without the troubling side effects people often experience from taking medication.
TMS is FDA approved for major depression and obsessive compulsive disorder. There are research studies suggesting it may benefit other conditions as well.
- TMS is FDA-approved (2008) for the treatment of major depressive disorder in patients who have failed to achieve satisfactory improvement from initial treatment with an antidepressant.
- TMS is FDA-approved (2018) for the treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
- It’s non-invasive, safe, well-tolerated and is relatively painless.
- TMS is safe for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- TMS patients often notice a significant reduction in symptoms and experience improvement in their quality of life.
HOW MANY SESSIONS ARE RECOMMENDED?
Treatments are usually administered 5 days a week over the course of 4-6 weeks. A typical session lasts between 30-50 minutes, and patients can resume their normal activities immediately after receiving treatment.
TMS is appropriate for anyone who has not had success in controlling certain conditions with medications or therapy alone, or someone who wants a more natural approach to treatment. Your Amen Clinics doctor can help you decide if TMS may be right for you.
TMS SUCCESS STORIES
“I basically have my life back. I feel so good, I will actually sing along with the radio. And I’m able to manage the demands on a busy working mom. The TMS therapy is truly a life-changing experience.”
“TMS was a permanent solution. Instead of taking drugs for the rest of my life, I could do TMS for a month and see significant results that were permanent. I am happy, I’m losing weight and I just feel like I have a life again. I believe that TMS gave that back to me.”