8 Do-It-Yourself Tips for Brain Improvement
No matter your age, income, IQ, or education, there are dozens of ways to help your neurons grow, stretch, and branch into a younger, more beautiful brain every single day. Here are a few easy examples of things you can do to improve your brain:
- Learn a new language. Learning a new language requires that you analyze new sounds, which improves not only auditory-processing skills but also memory.
- Play Sudoku. Sudoku is a numbers (not math) game that is both popular and addictively fun to many who play it. It can help increase your logic and reasoning skills as well as your memory. Crosswords puzzles do the same.
- Lose the list. Using mnemonics (triggers to aid memory using visual imagery or sounds, such as rhyming) is a great way to boost your brain while developing a system to remember things. There are several great memory courses available on audio or video recordings, often at local libraries or online.
- Get in the game. Play board games like chess or scrabble. Trivia games can boost memory. Jigsaw puzzles can help visual and spatial skills, and mah-jongg can help executive function (the capacity to control and apply your mental skills)
- Online brain-training games such as our brain gym at BrainFitLife can be quite helpful in keeping your brain fit. Spend about 10 minutes a day doing these fun games, and see if you don’t find your brain beginning to process better and faster.
- Stay curious about life and learning. Read and study or take courses in subjects you enjoy, practice arts or activities that capture your fancy. Be a lifelong learner and you’re more likely to stay young at heart and in your brain.
- Learn to play a musical instrument or a different instrument than you normally play.
- Break your routine. This is especially important for anyone who is tethered to bad, brain-harming habits. You can increase your chances of staying healthier longer if you change your daily habits and routines. Introducing new habits can help rewire your brain so you don’t fall back into the same patterns of activity.
Amen Clinics has helped tens of thousands of people, all over the world, change their brains and change their lives. They can help you, too. To learn more or schedule a comprehensive evaluation, contact the Amen Clinics Care Center today at 888-288-9834 or visit us online.