12 Ways To Dodge Dementia
Did you know that your brain starts to deteriorate decades before you have any symptoms? Losing your memory or developing brain fog in your 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, or even 80s is not normal—it’s a sign of trouble.
By adopting these brain healthy strategies, you can outsmart your genes, put the brakes on aging, and even reverse the aging process so that you look and feel younger in a short period of time.
Brain Healthy Strategies:
1. Drink water. Your brain is 80% water, so anything that dehydrates it (such as too much caffeine or alcohol) should be avoided. How much water should you drink? ½ your body weight in ounces is best. Example: if you weigh 150 pounds, drink 75 ounces of water each day.
2. Get enough sleep – at least 7-8 hours per night.
3. Move your body! Studies show that exercise will help prevent Alzheimer’s disease and boost your energy, mood, metabolism, and the ability to create new brain cells. Exercise truly is the closest thing to a happiness pill that you will ever find.
4. Protect yourself from brain injuries.
5. Embrace your sense of meaning and purpose, and keep a gratitude journal.
6. Eat breakfast and keep your blood sugar balanced so that you can make great decisions about how to care for your brain and body.
7. Maintain a healthy weight. Studies show that as your weight goes up, the size and function of your brain goes down. Don’t know your BMI? Use this calculator.
8. Free yourself from toxins:
• Limit alcohol: no more than 2-4 glasses a week.
• If you smoke, quit!
• Eat lots of antioxidants and super-nutrient foods to gain protection from brain-damaging free radicals.
9. Become a lifelong learner. In a way, your brain is like a muscle—the more you use it, the stronger it gets!
10. Practice effective stress/anxiety management techniques, such as meditation, ANT (automatic negative thought) therapy and online brain games that are designed to boost emotional control and stress resilience.
11. Know your important health numbers and:
• Take a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement
• Take an Omega-3 supplement
• Optimize your Vitamin D level
12. Learn about the health of your brain and continuously strive to improve it.
This is good news because it means that you possess the power to change your brain! There are many ways to become sick, but there is a clear path to wellness and it’s simpler than you think. If you are ready to transform your life, we can help you.
Improve Your Brain Health
At Amen Clinics, we have spent decades helping people just like you improve their memory. Call us today at 888-288-9834 or schedule a visit.