Natural Ways to Help ADD
There are many treatments common to all people with ADD. But to many people’s surprise, there are actually 7 different types of ADD, each needing its own unique treatment. While these general treatments may be helpful, it important to pinpoint your specific type of ADD so that it can be treated properly and effectively.
Here are some “natural” tips to start helping ADD today:
- Take a 100-percent multivitamin and mineral supplement every day. Studies have reported that they help people with learning and help prevent chronic illness.
- Adults take about 2,000 to 6,000 mg of high-quality fish oil a day (1,000-2,000 mg for children.) Research suggests that fish oil higher in the EPA form of omega-3s may be the most helpful, but it depends on your type of ADD.
- Eliminate caffeine and nicotine. Both interfere with sleep and several treatment recommendations.
- Exercise daily for 30-45 minutes. For kids, if you cannot find a safe exercise (no brain injuries please from football, hockey, or soccer headers), take them on long, fast walks.
- Limit television, video games, and device time to no more than 30 minutes a day. This may be hard for kids and teens, but it can make a huge difference.
- Food is a drug. Most people with ADD do best with a higher protein, lower simple carbohydrate diet, but this isn’t true for all types of ADD.
- In dealing with kids, employees, and spouses with ADD – No YELLING! Many people with ADD have low activity in the front part of their brains, due to lower levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine. As a way to feel more alert they often find themselves seeking conflict or excitement. They can be masterful at making other people mad or angry at them. Do not lose your temper with them, because it often makes things worse. If they get you to explore their unconscious, low-energy frontal cortex turns on and unconsciously they come to crave it. Never let your anger be their medication. They can get addicted to it.
- Test ADD kids and adults for learning disabilities. They occur in up to 60 percent of people with ADD. There are more common in type 4: Temporal Lobe ADD. See the Amen Clinics ADD Type Test.
- Never give up seeking help
If you or a loved one has ADD we can help tailor a treatment plan that is specific to you or their needs. Call Amen Clinics at 888-288-9834 or tell us more to make an appointment.